The Rodgers and Hammerstein classic Carousel opened on April 12, 2018 to incredible reviews:
- “THE REAL SPINNING CAROUSEL IN THIS PRODUCTION IS LOVE.” –The New York Times
- “THE BEST MUSICAL OF THE SEASON BY FAR.” –NPR
- “5 STARS. A TIMELESS RIDE, BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL.” –New York Stage Review
- “THEY DON’T CALL IT THE GOLDEN AGE OF BROADWAY FOR NOTHING. A heavenly ‘Carousel.’ What a gift to have it back on Broadway.” –Hollywood Reporter
- “‘CAROUSEL’ IS A MIRACULOUS FUSION OF SENTIMENT AND CRAFTSMANSHIP. I’ve never heard a better sung golden age musical.” –The Wall Street Journal
- “THE MUSICAL THEATER PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON. My eyes were wet with tears.” –Broadway News
- “HOORAY! AN UNMISSABLE ‘CAROUSEL’ WITH GLORIOUS, UNBEATABLE PERFORMANCES.” –
- “GOD IS IN ‘CAROUSEL. The greatest musical ever written.” –Chicago Tribune
- “‘CAROUSEL’ IS A MASTERPIECE, a sublime piece of 20th century musical theater. ” –Deadline
- “THIS IS A ‘CAROUSEL’ WORTH A MIGHTY SPIN.” –NY1
- “ONE OF THE MOST MOVING EXPERIENCES IN ALL OF MUSICAL THEATRE.” –New York
- “A CLASSIC SHOW GETS THE CLASSIC PRODUCTION IT DESERVES.” –WRAP
The show features Tony Award winner Jessie Mueller (Waitress) as Julie Jordan, Tony nominee Joshua Henry (Hamilton) as Billy Bigelow and opera star Renee Fleming as Nettie Fowler. Three-time Tony winner Jack O’Brien directs the revival and the production is choreographed by Justin Peck, a one-time Broadway performer (The Phantom of the Opera, Movin’ Out, Come Fly Away) who is now resident choreographer of the New York City Ballet. Two company members of NYCB will be featured in Carousel: Amor Ramasar as Jigger and Brittany Pollack as Louise.
Mueller earned a Tony Award in 2014 for her star turn in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. She also earned Tony nods for Waitress and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever; other Broadway credits include Nice Work If You Can Get It and The Mystery of Edwin Drood. She previously played Carrie Pipperidge in a concert version of Carousel for the New York Philharmonic in 2013. Henry, currently performing as Aaron Burr in the national tour of Hamilton, made his Broadway debut in In the Heights, received Tony Award nominations for his roles in Violet and The Scottsboro Boys and created the role of Noble Sissle in Shuffle Along. Fleming, a four-time Grammy Award winner, has performed on the stages of countless opera houses, including the Metropolitan Opera, Milan’s La Scala and London’s Royal Opera. She made her Broadway debut in 2015 in the comedy Living on Love.
The creative team includes Santo Loquasto (scenic design), Ann Roth (costume design), Jules Fisher and Peggy Eisenhauer (lighting design), Jonathan Tunick (orchestrations), Andy Einhorn (musical supervision and direction) and Scott Lehrer (sound design). Carousel, written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, follows the tragic romance of carousel barker Billy Bigelow and mill worker Julie Jordan. The show features a catalog of musical-theater standards including “If I Loved You,” “June Is Bustin’ Out All Over” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (just imagine Renee Fleming’s performance of that song!).
Performances at the IMPERIAL THEATRE, 249 West 45th Street, New York City. For more information and to purchase tickets, please click here.