Glenda Jackson, the Tony winner and two-time Academy Award winner stars in King Lear, which opened on Broadway to RAVE REVIEWS:
- “GLENDA JACKSON RULES. There’s a great actress on stage at The Cort Theatre. The only truly contemporary interpretation of Lear I’ve ever seen.” The New York Times
- “GLENDA JACKSON IS EVERY INCH A KING.” The Guardian
- “LONG LIVE THIS KING.” The Star Ledger
- “GLENDA JACKSON IS THE KING OF BROADWAY.” Theatermania
- “GLENDA JACKSON COMMANDS THE STAGE better than Lear commands his kingdom.” Newsweek
- “KING LEAR” IS A KNOCK-OUT.” Deadline
- “GLENDA JACKSON IS A LIVING LEGEND.” Newsday
- “MALE OR FEMALE, GLENDA JACKSON IS THE BEST LEAR YOU’LL EVER SEE.” NY1
- “GRADE A. THIS ‘KING LEAR’ IS A MASTER CLASS IN ACTING.” Entertainment
- “GLENDA JACKSON SEEMS ALMOST SUPERHUMAN. She is a sight to behold.” The Daily News
- “GLENDA JACKSON HITS THE BROADWAY AUDIENCE IN THE SOLAR PLEXUS, IN A PERFORMANCE OF SCALDING, RELENTLESS FORCE.” The Telegraph
In William Shakespeare’s royal-family tragedy, the aging King Lear divides his estate between his three daughters, ultimately refusing his youngest and favorite her share because she won’t publicly admit her love for him. The decision leads to chaos and treachery within the kingdom and madness for its monarch.
“Glenda Jackson is the mightiest of them all,” says Ben Brantley of The New York Times. Don’t miss her in the mightiest role of all time – King Lear.
The Tony® and two-time Academy Award® winner plays Lear for 19 weeks only leading a cast that includes Tony winner Jayne Houdyshell (The Humans), Elizabeth Marvel (Other Desert Cities), Aisling O’Sullivan (Raw), Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones), John Douglas Thompson (Jitney), and Golden Globe winner Ruth Wilson (The Affair). King Lear will feature an original score by the legendary composer Philip Glass.
Performances at The Cort Theatre, 138 West 48th Street, NYC. For more information and to purchase tickets, please click here.